Subject: Mistery non-AGA A4000
From: "Fernando Martins" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: 13 Feb 1995 09:05:09 PST

Hi! This is a LW problem in a way that I can't work in LW with that problem!

I just spend lots of money buying a 2.1 Barracuda drive and 16Mb of RAM. I
installed it (very straight forward) and everything was fine. Since I had
already two IDE disks connected, I had to rearrange them, so I tried to boot
up from another partition. In the process, I had to mess around with some
jumpers until I got the right master/slave combination and everything was OK
in some hours of experimentation. No problem until now!

Then, I noticed that my backgrounds in Workbench didn't come up. Tried to fix
it in Prefs with no luck. I noticed that if I choose another resolution and
clicked 'Use' or 'Save, it didn't switch to that resolution. Then, I noticed
that even when I clicked in 'Double PAL' it didn't allow me to use more than 4
colors in the WB (besides the problem of NOT using 'DoublePAL' at all).

I used Sysinfo to see what was wrong... It said ECS machine but 'AA Lisa chip'
too... AND, just for curiosity, I checked the speed... It read '1.0' in
comparison with the A4000/25... This cannot be true because I have the Warp
Engine/40 plugged in (it used to read '1.6')

I loaded LW to test it... It took twice the time it used too in a frame I use
for tests, so, I lost the speed of the Warp somehow (the SCSI is connected and
the RAM too, so, it is working).

LW was in 4 colors... I switched to 8... OK... Switched to 'HAM-8 Display' and
a box came up saying 'Needs a AGA machine for that resolution'...

ADPro doesn't display HAM-8 or 64/128/256 images or more than 16 colors in
high resolution.

So, is that possible that I lost AGA and the old chip set is still working?!?!
Is that possible that the Warp Engine is malfunctioning in the speed factor or
is it slower because I don't have AGA?!?!

I just spend my whole weekend with this and I'm tired of it...

And if I really lost AGA, what can I do?! Is it possible to buy a chip? Where?
How do we mount it? (I don't even know where the graphics chip is... Maybe
bellow the CPU board...)

HELP... I CAN'T work like this 'cause I can't use the hi-res monitor (I can't u
se any high resolution mode).

  ___ _____   Fernando Martins
  |_  | | |   (510)823-1011
  |   |   |   4W250FF
[email-masked]